2021-09-23 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Wandi Community Centre, 302 De Haer Road, Wandi, 6167
Skills in Turning Enhancement Program (STEP) – Hollow Forms
Date: Thursday, September 23, 2021
Time: 08:30 am to 3:30 pm
Number of Attendees: Minimum 7, Maximum 12 (venue dependant)
Trainers: Denis Tapley and Charles Broadbent
Skill Level: This course is ideal for competent turners, experienced in turning bowls, boxes etc.
Subject: Hollow Forms – Design Aspects, Tools, Equipment and Techniques
Types of hollowing tools and their advantages, disadvantages.
Hollow Form turning techniques
Participants will turn a small item to develop hollow form turning skills and it is anticipated that this piece will be turned and sanded, ready for finishing at home.
Participants will then design and turn a larger second hollow form.
What to Bring:
- Timber: Participants to supply their own timber. One piece approx. 80 – 90mm diameter x 80 – 90mm long and a second piece at least 125mm dia x 125mm. Please bring timber that is good quality, preferably with no cracks. Slightly open pieces may be suitable. Bring several pieces if you’re unsure so the best piece can be selected. Try to avoid Jarrah as it is too dusty. The timber can be either dry or green, and you may also laminate two or more pieces to make it up to size.
- Tools: Please bring whatever hollowing tools you have plus a selection of general turning chisels, gouges, parting, skews, face masks, etc.
- The trainers will have some hollowing tools to try if you don’t have any.
- Tea, coffee will be available. Please BYO lunch as you probably won’t have time to purchase lunch at a shop.
- Click on the link to access the Registration Application Form.
- Click on the link for a pdf copy of this page
- Successful applicants will be notified by email along with EFT payment details
- Additional courses may be available as required