Starts in 21 Days, 20 Hours
2021-08-19 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Skills in Turning Enhancement Program (STEP)
Long Stemmed Box
Date: Thursday, August 19, 2021
Time: 08:30 am to 3:30 pm
Number of Attendees: Minimum 7, Maximum 12 (venue dependant)
Trainers: Ian Moss and Denis Tapley
Skill Level: This course is ideal for competent turners
Subject: Hollowing (shallow), lid fitting, turning long thin spindle, finial turning.
- Design aspects relating to the proportion of stem/body/lid/finial to achieve an overall pleasing shape
- Design of stem/finial
- Alignment of finial to lid, stem to body
Participants should be able to complete the components of the lidded box. May have to assemble at home.
What to Bring:
- Tea, coffee will be available. Please BYO lunch as you probably won’t have time to purchase lunch at a shop.
- Body – Preferably burl with a natural edge, however, any attractive timber will do. 80dia x 110 long.
- Lid – Same timber as body. Natural edge not required. 60dia x 50 long.
- Finial – Any close and straight-grained timber. 25dia or square x 90 long.
- Stem – Any close and straight-grained timber 40dia or square x 210 long.
- Foot – Timber. Same as stem/finial. 55dia x 20 long.
- Alternatively, stem and foot can be made from one piece of timber. 55dia or square x 210 long.
- 10mm or 13mm Bowl gouge
- 10mm Spindle gouge
- skew (small preferably)
- Parting tool
- Roughing gouge
- Scraper – small round nose
- drive and live centres
- 100mm Chuck
- Range of Abrasives (120-400 grit)
- Click on the link to access the Registration Application Form.
- Click on the link for a pdf copy of this page
- Successful applicants will be notified by email along with EFT payment details
- Additional courses may be available as required