2022-09-23 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Old Butter Factory Museum precinct, Peel Tce, Busselton, 6280
Skills in Turning Enhancement Program (STEP)
Intro to Multi Axis Turning
Date: Friday 23rd September
Time: 08:30 am to 3:30 pm
Venue: Busselton Woodturners – Old Butter Factory Museum precinct, Peel Tce, Busselton, 6280
Number of Attendees: Minimum 7, Maximum 10
Trainers: Barbara Jennings, Charlie Broadbent
Skill Level: This course is ideal for competent turners
Subject: This course introduces multi-axis spindle turning including design, techniques and tools
- Design concepts for multi-axis turning, visualising your design
- Drawing techniques
- Holding your timber – centres, chucks, and jigs
- Safe tool use
- Sanding techniques and aids
Participants will undertake a skill exercise to draw and make a simple cabriole foot to become comfortable with turning off centre timber. Then, depending on their skill levels and confidence they will move on to either a simple or more advanced multiaxis project. The simple project is a figurine using plans prepared by Rudi Goh. For those confident in using a spindle gouge with “hit and miss” turning they can attempt an offset stem goblet. (This project may not be finished in the day.)
Practice wood (pine) will be supplied to undertake the initial skills exercise (cabriole foot). Participants are to supply their own timber for their choice of the main project. Please ensure the timber is straight-grained and has no cracks, knots or holes. Ideal timbers include Jacaranda, Quandong. Avoid sheoak.
- Simple project – figurine: Timber Blank – dimensions 40mm square, 280mm long
- Advanced project – goblet: Timber blank – dimensions 50mm square, 200mm long
- Roughing gouge.
- 10mm &/or 13mm spindle gouge.
- Favourite hollowing tool for goblet cup.
- Parting tool.
- Chuck with shark jaws (if you have one) for the goblet cup.
What to Bring:
- Tea, coffee will be available. Please BYO lunch as you probably won’t have time to purchase lunch at a shop.
- Click on the link to access the Registration Application Form.
- Click on the link for a pdf copy of this page
- Successful applicants will be notified by email along with EFT payment details
- Additional courses may be available as required