2021-04-01 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Skills in Turning Enhancement Program (STEP)
Date: Thursday, September 30, 2021
Time: 08:30 am to 3:30 pm
Number of Attendees: Minimum 7, Maximum 12 (venue dependant)
Trainers: Robert Drinkwater and Brian Kirkby
Skill Level: This course is ideal for competent turners
Subject: Spindle turning with skew chisel, Beads on leg, Faceplate tuning fortable top and base
- spindle turning with skew chisel
- beads on legs
- faceplate tuning for tabletop and base
- fitting of tenons into top and base
- flute cutting on leg if lathe suitable and correct tools available (eg router and associated jigs)
- discuss gluing up using the lathe to line up component
Participants should be able to complete or attempt to complete all of the components in a day. Assembly – gluing, finishing etc may need to be finished at home
What to Bring:
- Tea, coffee will be available. Please BYO lunch as you probably won’t have time to purchase lunch at a shop.
- Timber for top – 1 of 260 x 30 mm
- Timber for base – 1 of 210 x 60 mm
- Timber for centre legs – 1 of 450 x 65 x 65 mm
- Bowl gauge 10dia or 13dia preferably.
- Spindle gouge 10dia.
- Skew – 19 – 25mm preferable.
- Beading & Parting tool (or Bead forming tools if available)
- Parting tool.
- Roughing gouge
- Straight and curved
- Centres –headstock and tailstock.
- Chuck 100 dia.
- Reverse chucking method, Cole jaws or similar or material to make a jam chuck eg chipboard or plywood. Hot melt glue and gun.
- Drill Chuck and forstner bit ~28 – 32 mm
- Range of sandpaper 100 – 400.
- Click on the link to access the Registration Application Form.
- Click on the link for a pdf copy of this page
- Successful applicants will be notified by email along with EFT payment details
- Additional courses may be available as required