2022-05-26 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Wandi Community Centre, 302 De Haer Road, Wandi, 6167
Skills in Turning Enhancement Program (STEP) – Box Making
Date: Thursday, 26th May 2022
Time: 08:30 am to 3:30 pm
Number of Attendees: Minimum 7, Maximum 12 (venue dependant)
Trainers: Denis Tapley and Ian Moss
Skill Level: Introductory Box Making.
This course is for people who have done some woodturning and are considered to be a beginner turner. It is also for other woodturners who would like to consolidate the basics in woodturning.
Subject: Design aspects to enhance the aesthetics of the finished item.
Participants will be turning a small box to establish and master sound turning skills. Participants will be permitted to use existing designs but also encouraged to use their own design ideas. Several ideas for embellishment will be demonstrated.
What to Bring:
- Timber: Participants to supply their own timber. Please bring several blanks from which a choice can be made. Please ensure the timber has no cracks or holes. The boxes will be small so the size of your blank could range from 90D x 90 high for a low height box, 90 D x 130 high for a taller box, or slightly bigger if you feel confident. If you don’t have suitable timber, buy pine (untreated) from a hardware – 90mm square – a half metre length will give you plenty for several boxes. Most types of timber are good but try to avoid Jarrah as it is too dusty. You could also bring several blanks where you make the lid and base from different pieces or species giving you some contrast in colour. Small tree trunks or branch pieces (dry timber) would be ok too. About 100mm in diameter.
- Tools: Please bring a selection of general turning chisels, bowl gouges, spindle gouges, roughing gouge, parting tools, skews, face mask etc.
- The trainers will have some tools to try if you don’t have any.
- Tea, coffee will be available. Please BYO lunch as you won’t have time to purchase lunch at a shop.
- Click on the link to access the Registration Application Form.
- Click on the link for a pdf copy of this page
- Successful applicants will be notified by email along with EFT payment details
- Additional courses may be available as required